Kingstanding Regeneration Trust have been awarded funding from the Youth Promise Devolved fund to improve employability of eligible young people in Kingstanding, and the Erdington area, via targeted support and up skilling in construction based qualifications which will allow young people to seek employment or self-employment (including being set up as a Sole Trader) within the growing construction industry. Our target is to reduce the level of unskilled and unemployed young people within the Kingstanding Ward as well as address the concerns of local construction employers about the lack of under-qualified and under-equipped young people to fill available vacancies. As part of the training experience young people will also be contributing to several local neighborhood regeneration projects, eg. transforming green spaces plagued with fly-tipping, vandalism and anti-social behaviour.
Young people who are eligable to receive this activity should be:
1 – Young person aged 16-18 who is registered as NEET with Birmingham Careers Service.
2 – Young person aged 18- 24 who has been at least 1 day un-employed.
3 – Young person meeting either of the above criteria and lives within the Kingstanding ward and/or Erdington area.
If eligable for this programme, during classroom based training ( minimum 15 hours ) young people will be trained in order that they :
- Pass their Health and Safety Level 1
- Pass their CSCS Exam
- Gain their Asbestos Awareness, Working From Heights & Abrasive wheels qualifications
- Have better knowledge and understanding on how to handle tools and small plant machinery.
- Have better knowledge of the correct uses of PPE (given to young people for future jobs)
- Experience of working in a team
- Improved numeracy, literacy and IT skills, Job interview skills- including selling themselves, preparing for an interview and answering interview questions.
Following receipt of their CSCS card, the employment advisor will work with the young people, and local recruitment agencies we have built partnerships with, to find employment.